Providing Comprehensive, Hands-On Legal Help When You Need It

How to work with your teens during a divorce

In the state of Delaware, a teen may have some input as to which parent he or she wants to live with. However, it’s important to note that a judge does have the right to override a minor’s wishes if doing so is deemed to be in that young person’s best interest.

Always try to put your child’s feelings above your own

If your teen wants to live with your former partner, you should attempt to accommodate that request if possible. Doing so shows that you respect his or her ability to make decisions that you don’t agree with. Although it may hurt to know that your child wants to live elsewhere, it doesn’t mean that your son or daughter doesn’t value you as a parent. Instead, it could simply mean that your child wants to live closer to school, work or other locations they may frequent.

What happens after your child turns 18?

It’s possible that the terms of a child support or custody agreement may remain in place until your teen graduates from high school. This may be true even if your child is over the age of 18. However, it’s important to note that custody agreements are generally harder to enforce after your son or daughter reaches the age of majority. A divorce attorney may provide more insight into what might happen if this applies in your case.

Generally speaking, any decisions that are made for your child must be done with their best interests in mind. However, teens are generally given the leeway necessary to decide whether they want to live. In many cases, allowing a child to have input into their living situation can help them on their path to becoming independent adults.